View Full Version : INSERT Statement nightmare

eckertc
12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey All,

Im using MS Visual Web Developer with an Access Database, i am trying to enter a new row of data into a database via a select statment attached to a button_click event. the code i am using looks something like this.

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Me.AccessDataSource2.SelectCommand = "INSERT INTO [Tblissues] ([IssueDate], [IssueTime], [PlantLocation], [MachineName]) VALUES ('12/9/06', '3:00 PM', 'Gville', 'Snack2')"

End Sub

that being said. when i click the button, NOTHING happens, no error and no insert!!!

I did test the connection to the Database and its fine, i can do an update and i can read the data that exists in the database i just cant insert a new row.

This is not the first time i have delt with INSERT statments but this has me at my whits end and any help would be great.

Thanks

eckertc
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
For those interested i answered my own question. the problem was that i was creating the INSERT statement but never executing it DUH!!.

Here is the updated code that works:

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim sqlinsert
sqlinsert = "INSERT INTO [Tblissues] ([IssueDate], [IssueTime], [PlantLocation], [MachineName]) VALUES ('12/9/06', '3:00 PM', 'Gville', 'Snack2')"

Try
Me.AccessDataSource2.InsertCommand = sqlinsert
Me.AccessDataSource2.Insert()
Catch Ex As Exception
MsgBox(Ex.ToString)
End Try

End Sub

Thanks anyway, and maybe this post will help someone in the future.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum