View Full Version : How to create that menu icon thing?

phmayor
11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Yes, I'm the last person on earth that doesn't know how that works -- and believe me I've tried to figure it out by examining code -- but how exactly do you get that little menu icon (or bookmark icon?) -- you know, the small image to the left of the URL in the address window -- to be there?

Also, does the image have to be a certain type? I have a small .jpg all ready to go.

I'm sure this has been discussed but as I'm not sure what you call that thing I'm not sure how to find any previous threads.

Thanks for your help.

CFMaBiSmAd
11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
You are probably NOT the last person on earth that does not know this :D - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

phmayor
11-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks, CFM but I still can't get it to work!

I should add that I just finished creating a favicon.ico file but still can't get it to work.

All I've done is put this (as per your wikipedia link):
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
</HEAD>

very strange.

Arbitrator
12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
The icon needs to actually be in Windows icon format, not simply a renamed GIF, PNG, JPEG, etc. format file. Depending on the browser you use, it may only be shown when you bookmark it too.

rmedek
12-01-2006, 01:18 AM
For the record, I always just rename .gif files to .ico and it works fine for me. I'm sure there's a downside but I haven't run across it yet.

Saxofoner
12-01-2006, 02:24 AM
http://www.degraeve.com/favicon/

I use these little java maker thingies. Try it.

Majoracle
12-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I learned this the hard way, but a lot of times, browsers will only pick it up if you have the exact URL to the favicon, so:

<link type="image/x-icon" rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico" />

Try that.

phmayor
12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone. I have managed to get it to show up on one site -- but for some reason it doesn't show up when I preview it "off line." Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for your help.

And yes, I used a site (mentioned in another post) for creating the .ico file so I'm pretty sure it must be in the right format.

Thanks again. You are all very helpful.

Arbitrator
12-02-2006, 11:37 AM
For the record, I always just rename .gif files to .ico and it works fine for me. I'm sure there's a downside but I haven't run across it yet.Well, the image isnít of the media type image/x-icon then, itís of the type image/gif. Firefox can display GIF images, including animations, as favicons fine; I donít know if that would work in Internet Explorer et al though. I havenít tested icon formats in that browser since before Internet Explorer 7 was released.

Thanks everyone. I have managed to get it to show up on one site -- but for some reason it doesn't show up when I preview it "off line." Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for your help.I recall encountering the same problem; seemed to be some quirk where the file had to be uploaded to a server. I have a local server on my PC now; guess Iíll test it later and see if the icon is saved off‐line when a document is loaded from there.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum