View Full Version : Help with syntax

raymanw
11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi,

Please help me verify the syntax of the following:

<form name=formlogin action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>?homeinclude=memberupdate&pageaction=signup" method=post>

I am getting a strange problem of unable to bring down the value of $_SESSION variable to the 3rd page & I suspect that it has something to do with syntax.

Thanks

marek_mar
11-21-2006, 09:22 PM
The syntax is correct.
To use sessions/ the $_SESSION array you have to initialize the session with session_start() on every page. POST and/or GET data won't go into the $_SESSION array automatically, you have to add them yourself.

raymanw
11-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Is it feasible to include session_start() multiple times in 1 page?

I am using the same page, sometimes alone & sometimes as an included in other pages. As an include I need to specify it at the top of the calling page.

For example:
I am using $_SESSION in page1.php.
I want to include page1.php in page2.php.
But sometimes I want to run page1.php by itself.

Is it ok to specify it in both the pages?

Thanks.

chump2877
11-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Is it feasible to include session_start() multiple times in 1 page?

Usually, I;d say "no"...but in this case, I'd say it's OK (I don;t think the PHP police will be knocking on your door if you catch my drift)...

The first time on your parent page, use

session_start();

Then on included pages, or pages that may or may not be included in the parent page, use

@session_start();

to suppress the "headers already sent" warning messages I think you will probably get...but the code should still function....well I think it should, but I haven;t tested this theory :rolleyes:

SeeIT Solutions
11-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I would put session_start(); at the top of page2.php and at the top of page1.php use:

if (empty(session_id())) {
session_start();
}

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum