View Full Version : Javascript include for navigation

Grant Palin
11-19-2002, 02:16 AM
I have a site which divides the pages between two tables: one for navigation links, and one for content. Instead of having to change the links on every_single_page when I make changes, can I just include a javascript file at the right spot? I mean, I've seen how you can include a javascript file using <link href="script.js">. Can that be done for site navigation links?

11-19-2002, 04:07 AM
yes if you use document.write()

or you could try using frames.

Grant Palin
11-19-2002, 04:10 AM
That was my first thought actually, but there's a problem with that. I have to do this personal website for school, and my teacher says that I cannot use frames. So, I'm looking into alternatives.

11-19-2002, 04:28 AM
I just finished this university department web site that uses the Javascript - generated navigation menu.
See if that gives you enough ideas....

11-19-2002, 10:57 AM
your thread title uses the word "include" so I was surprised to find you haven't considered Server-Side Includes (SSI).

<!--#include virtual="path_to_file.html"-->

And unlike javascript, you don't have to worry about what will happen if the visitor has JS turned off.

Grant Palin
11-19-2002, 11:12 PM
But to use SSI, your server has to support it, right? That's a limitation of it's own.

Grant Palin
11-20-2002, 10:26 PM
What are the pors and cons of SSI versus Javascript includes? Are there any good SSI tutorials or references that cover more on SSI?

11-21-2002, 02:14 AM
Well, I think that's something you need to research a bit if you don't yet understand the difference. There are a lot of posts here regarding this subject, not to mention google. ;)

If your server supports server-side includes, you can simply include another HTML file by using the syntax above (assuming you have named your page with an ".shtml" extension).

External javascripts are a different beast, as you will have to include them on the page like so:

<script type="text/javascript" src="myJSfile.js"></script>

And then reference them as you would a javascript that was typed into the source code.

11-21-2002, 02:15 AM
SSI is better than javascript includes though - since if your server supports SSI, the HTML will always be included.

Javascript includes assume that the client has javascript enabled.