View Full Version : How do I resolve to a default index.php file on webserver.

CanMike
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to fiqure out a way to have my webserver URL call an index file with a '.php' suffix rather than the standard '.html' suffix.

Here is what I don't understand.

When a user calls my website through a web browser, my understanding is that the URL will look for a default index.html or index.htm file on the server (since this is the file my webserver administrator told me to upload in order for a user to resolve to the site).

Is it just a simple request to my webserver administrator to just change the default index files to a '.php' suffix rather than a '.htm' suffix.

The reason I want to change is so that I can use cookies to test whether a member is already registered on the site. I've notices sites, like this one, that recognised that I'm registered and displays that information in a box. You can only do that via a php files, right?

Thanks

Brandoe85
11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Yep, if you contact your admin they can add it to the list. That's pretty much it. :)

Good luck;

sir pannels
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Yep what Brand said ..

though if your admin locks system down and wont allow it, we can do it with cheating with mod_rewrite if your using apache.

CanMike
11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your replys.

I just got an email from my webserver administrator and he told me that the server looks for '.htm' first then .php second. So all I have to do is remove my html file and replace it with my php file.

I'm going to give it a try now.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum