View Full Version : Saving text file to users desktop

Cacus
11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi all.
I'd like to have a script that would save a text file to the users desktop (or any location they request if that not too complexed).

$filename ="text.txt";
$myFile= fopen($filename,'a');
$string="This is what is saved";
fputs($myfile, $string);
$fclose($myfile);

The code above will write to a file that 'already' exsits on the server but I want to generate the file from scratch and have it save on the users computer. I'll be using data from mysql db. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

ess
11-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Here is a simple example of how you can achieve this

<?php
// file to save is of type Microsoft Word document
header('Content-type: application/doc);

// here you can specify the name of the file...you can call it
// anything you want...
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="file_name.doc"');

// now start reading the file on your server to start
// downloading to user's desktop
readfile('documents/original_document.doc');
?>

hope that helps...

good luck
ess

Cacus
11-10-2006, 10:26 PM
That's brilliant.

Just what I needed.

Cheers
Steve

Cacus
11-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Have a problem with the supplied code. Let me explain. The file I generate on the server is pure ASCII but unfortunately when the header download script run it does download a text file but wraps it in HTML (I didn't see this at first as the text editor I was using hid the HTML). The thing is the ASCII file on the server contains Quark Xpress Tag information which looks like HTML code ie <z7f"Arial"> This means that when I try to import the text file generated by the header script it would not import into Quark incorrectly as <body> is not a Quark Tag. Does that make sense? Basically I need to be able to simply download the ASCII text file without making any changes to the file itself. Any ideas.

Cheers
Steve

ess
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Steve

try changing this line

header('Content-type: application/doc');

to the following

header('Content-type: application/txt');

and while you at it....try adding the following at the end of the script.

// this ensures the response is terminated once download is complete.
exit();

I hope that helps.
ess

Cacus
11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi ESS

I originally changed the doc type but have also now tried with the exit(); which makes no difference. It still wraps the original text file in html code. To be fair things are getting more confusing as I go on. The original output with the (unseen) html looked right I need the plain ascii text file to look like this:
<z6f"Arial Black">SONY<f"Arial"> Playstation in good condition.
<z6f"Arial Black">SONY<f"Arial"> Playstation in good condition.

So using your header I had to output this string like so:
$string = "&lt;z8fAriel Black&gt;xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&lt;fAriel&gt;xxxxxxxxxxxxx <br> \n";
The text in the downloaded text file did view correctly in the text editor (as above) I was using but importing it as ascii text into quark showed that not only was it wrapped in html but each line looked like the above string with the &lt and not the < symbol.

It appears that in the text editor I can get the text to 'look' how I want it but the file is not really composed how it looks.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but it doesn't to me either!!

Steve

Cacus
11-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry but I'm so stupid.

I placed it at the bottom of my html file.. Hence grabbing all the html tags.

Saved as a file on it's own, just as php, and it works.

I have the dunce hat on and am sat in the corner! LOL

Steve

ess
11-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi Steve

Well...I am glad that it worked in the end. I wasn't sure why it didn't work for you.

I ran a couple of tests on my local server on windows xp and anther on Fedora 6...(I use virtual machines for running testing...as it gives me a chance to test my code in every possible situation)...and wasn't sure why it didn't work for you.

Anyway..glad that all is well in the end.

cheers,
ess

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum