View Full Version : display images (unanswered)

11-08-2006, 10:36 PM

I have been looking for away to allow my users to submit an image. From an external resource and have it display on a page. And be able to search these images.

I need the search alphabetically so when they click on A they get all the images that start with A.jpg.

Can any one point me to a tutorial or start me off with a basic script? Your help would be appreciated as I have been looking in google for hours thanks.

11-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Do you mean they upload an image from their PC?

I don't understand what you mean by "external resource".

11-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Is this script (http://www.sitepoint.com/article/php-gallery-system-minutes) anything like what you're looking for?

11-09-2006, 07:59 AM
External as in add a url to the submit box (nothing is uploaded into my server). And have it generate a page with an external image from a url.

So they input a url into a submit box www.support124124.com/image.jpg they press submit and this goes into Mysql and a page is made where it can be viewed.

I need it to be alphabetically searched and I have no idea how to do that with mysql.

11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
so they add a link to an image, store the url in database and on your site you show a page with that image on?

11-09-2006, 09:56 AM
yes thats it. And i just seen this feature on phpbb forum for a avatar.

11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
There is one problem with that.

Many people dislike having sites "hot link" to their images.
That's where you have a site that doesn't store it's own images,
but uses external links to take images from other sites.

This practice steals bandwidth from the other site(s).

I suppose if you get permission to do that, it would be fine.

But to answer your question, it would be a database (either flat-file or MySQL)
where the URLs are stored. A server-side script such as PHP would read
that database list and generate the HTML page dynamically.

Once the other site removes or relocates the image(s), your links would
be broken. Thus another reason to host the images yourself.

11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
My members (selected internal users) are using there own websites and am filtering any links that are not from there site. I have multiple hosting sites so having the ability to link all my images into one site with out moving everything around is a good idea.

I hate hot linkers as well and find the features CPanel has to stop this very good.

Any help on where i could find a tutorial or script would nice thank you.