View Full Version : not a valid MySQL result resource [was: I'm new and need quick help]

11-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Hiya, I was wondering if anybody can help.

I have a website which i have a login script for however I want to users to be able to have an account balance. I have set up a field for balance in the users table of my database however I am having problems fetching the correct row for each user.

This is my code:

$mysqlLink = mysql_connect( 'mysql2.freehostia.com' , 'My Username', 'My Password' );

mysql_select_db( 'joesha1_members' , $mysqlLink );

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username`= ".$_SESSION['username']." AND `password`=".$_SESSION['password']." ");

while( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) )
echo $row[ 'username' ] . $row[ 'balance' ];

mysql_close( $mysqlLink );

It keeps on displaying this error

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/joesha1.freehostia.com/account.php on line 19

Thanks and hope i made any sence, Joe

11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
look in the PHP forum for your specific error message. I'll move your thread there as PHP is the cause of the problem and not the query per se.

11-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Something is probably wrong with your query. I would change around the script just a little to try and diagnose the problem. Take this statement:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `users`
WHERE `username`= ".$_SESSION['username'].
" AND `password`=".$_SESSION['password']." ");
and replace it with this:

$query = "SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username`= ".$_SESSION['username'].
" AND `password`=".$_SESSION['password'];
echo "query = ". $query . "<br>";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error);
This will hopefully show you if something is wrong in the way the query is setup and will show you the actual error.

11-09-2006, 07:32 AM
if your username and password are strings, then they need to be in quotes inside the query.

$query="SELECT blah FROM table WHERE username='".mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['username'])."'";

11-09-2006, 08:14 AM
As a good practice it is good to print the query and see if it is what you expected (errors may occur when appending a variable contents which is actually empty).

Therefore, I recommend:

$query = "SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE username = `".$_SESSION['username']."` AND password =`".$_SESSION['password']."` ";
echo $query; //check if it's the expected query
$result = mysql_query($query);

P.S.: there's no need to quote the name of the fields (username, password), but the value you check it against unless it's integer