I was looking for a way to simplify FTP uploads/downloads for my clients due to the fact that my business only works on files that are uploaded as such, and 80% of the time I'm on the phone trouble shooting with them on setting up an FTP client for their operating system.
After some searching, I finally found that what I needed is an integrated web based ftp file manager with a gorgeously styled "computer illiterate" friendly interface. This piece of server-side software in perticular is what I found:
However I nearly screamed when I saw the price, so I've decided to ATTEMPT to create my own. FileRun was created with AJAX, so I'm going to try and stick to the same thing (Unless you can recommend a better language)...but I need help lol. So far I've bought three tutorials dealing with AJAX from Lynda.com. They are the AJAX Crash Course, AJAX Essential Training, and AIR 2 with Flash and Flex Essential Training.
The requirements of the project would be:
- Built in Log-In before any access to files
- Log-in must check MySQL DB for clients
- Log-In must differentiate between multiple users via their info
- When successful, see a custom made GUI representation of their folder on my server
- Be able to see a custom image representation of their files with file names
- Be able to upload files (Restricted to certain file types ONLY)
- Be able to download files
Would you say that this would be a good area for me to start? Does anyone have any ideas or help they would like to throw out there to get me started?